I’d be honored if you would support me in the 2014 Special Olympics Polar Plunge – make your donation here.
Yep, I’m taking the plunge.
The crazy, frigid, people-will-doubt-my-sanity plunge.
But, it’s for a very worthy cause – the Special Olympics.
What’s the Polar Plunge? This is a fundraiser event held each year in a ton of locations around Arkansas and around the country to raise funds for the Special Olympics. The fundraisers work hard to gain financial support before the event and then raise awareness in a fun way by dressing up in silly costumes and taking a plunge in frigid waters, much to the amusement of onlookers.
What’s the Special Olympics? The Special Olympics provide year round sports training and Olympic-type competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Currently, more than 13,000 athletes participate in training and compete in a year-round program of 18 different sports. Here’s a taste of what they do in Arkansas.
How can I support the Special Olympics and the Polar Plunge? I’m glad you asked. There are three ways I am looking for support:
- You can financially support the Special Olympics through my fundraising efforts. I am striving to raise $1,000+ in just over one week through this event. It sounds like a lofty goal, but easy donations of $2 from a large group of people go a long way (but hey, if you want to drop a large donation, I won’t stop you). Here’s how you can give:
- Give online through my fundraising page on a secure fundraising website. You buy everything else online, why not donate a few dollars to a worthy cause?
- Give in person by either giving directly to me or by bringing your donation by Antioch Baptist Church (just make sure you specify it’s through me – there’s a competition going on, more on that below).
- You can share a link to this post on your social media page. This is huge, I’d love your support through getting the word out. Maybe you can’t do anything in the way of financial support right now, but it’s free to promote this in a Facebook post or Tweet. I thank you in advance.
- Come out to the event. I’d love to see you at Wholly Hollow State Park in Greenbrier, Arkansas for the Polar Plunge. The event will begin at noon on February 1 with a dessert auction, parade, and awards ceremony, but the actual Polar Plunge will take place at 1PM. Bring your camera!
Lastly, there’s a bit of a competition going on. At Antioch, two other student pastors are competing to raise the most money. I’d like to win and win big. There’s also a pizza party on the line for our students. Yes, the winning group gets pizza on the other two ministry’s tab. So, along with supporting a good cause, you’re helping me earn bragging rights over the other guys and putting pizza in a middle schooler’s mouth.
Thanks again for your support.